SIMPONI ARIA® is given as an infusion
The following table provides important information about SIMPONI ARIA® to help you decide if this biologic may be right for you.
Where is SIMPONI ARIA® given?
- At your doctor’s office
- If your doctor’s office does not provide infusions, you may go to a local infusion center or hospital
Who gives SIMPONI ARIA®?
- A healthcare professional, like a doctor or nurse
- He/she will check your vital signs and health, provide you with the Medication Guide to read before each infusion, and monitor you during and after treatment
How is SIMPONI ARIA® given?
- Through a needle placed in your vein, usually in your arm
- The amount of medication for each dose is based on your weight
- Taken with methotrexate, as directed
How often is SIMPONI ARIA® given?
- As a short 30-minute infusion given as 2 starter doses 4 weeks apart. Then, you will receive infusions every 8 weeks―that’s as few as 6 times a year
Who will manage getting SIMPONI ARIA®?
- Your doctor’s office will manage getting SIMPONI ARIA® in time for your next infusion appointment
Who will manage storing SIMPONI ARIA®?
- Your doctor’s office will manage storing SIMPONI ARIA® properly and keeping it refrigerated
Who will manage disposing of SIMPONI ARIA®?
- Your doctor’s office will manage disposing of SIMPONI ARIA® properly
SIMPONI ARIA® is an anti-TNF biologic infusion, used with the medicine methotrexate, for adults with moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. Methotrexate is taken as directed.
Your doctor should test you for tuberculosis (TB) and hepatitis B before starting SIMPONI ARIA® and monitor you closely for signs and symptoms of TB during treatment. You should not receive SIMPONI ARIA® if you have an infection unless your doctor says it is okay.
Customized weight-based dosing with SIMPONI ARIA®
SIMPONI ARIA® offers customized dosing based on your weight. Before every treatment, a healthcare professional will carefully calculate the right dose for you.
View this helpful checklist for tips and information to help you prepare for your infusion with SIMPONI ARIA®.
The day of your treatment
Before your appointment, be ready to share your medical history and a list of medicines you are taking. If any medicines have changed, let your healthcare professional know that, too. It's also important to eat a healthy meal beforehand.
When you arrive for your treatment, a healthcare professional will perform an assessment of your health and check your blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, and weight. Before each infusion, your doctor will calculate the right amount of SIMPONI ARIA® medication for you, based on your weight, and will prepare your infusion. A nurse will provide you with the Medication Guide for SIMPONI ARIA® to read before each infusion. Talk to your healthcare professional about any questions.
SIMPONI ARIA® is given through a needle placed in your vein. This is called an infusion. It is usually given in your arm. The infusion will take 30 minutes. A healthcare professional will monitor you during the infusion and for a period of time afterward. If you have questions or experience side effects during or after your infusion, discuss them with the healthcare professional overseeing your treatment.
After your infusions, if you experience any side effects, call your doctor right away. If you forget or miss an infusion appointment, make another appointment as soon as possible.